IStReS is pleased to announce the 1st IberTRANSLATIO International Symposium – Iberian and Translation Studies: Re-Defining Contact Zones, which will take place on March 28-29, 2019, at the School of Arts and Humanities from the University of Lisbon.
The symposium will explore theoretical-methodological questions dealing with the relation between Iberian Studies and Translation Studies. Drawing on Mary Louise Pratt’s overarching concept of the ‘contact zone’ (1991), the aim of our symposium is twofold: to re-define the multiple ‘contact zones’ between these two fields of inquiry and to investigate ‘contact zones’ between the different Iberian literary systems through translational practices.
Among others, the conference will address the following subjects:
- Theoretical and methodological approaches to Iberian Studies and Translation Studies
- Translation as a complex mode of literary circulation in the Iberian Peninsula
- Translation flows among the different Iberian literary systems
- Power dynamics and intra-Iberian translation
- The role of patronage in intra-Iberian translation
- Intra-Iberian collaborative translation
- (Iberian) literary authors as translators of Iberian literatures
- Translation agents and their networks within the Iberian space
- Self-translation in the Iberian space
- Translating heteroglot works in the Iberian Peninsula
The academic program includes distinguished scholars from Europe and the U.S.A. and will be complemented by a round-table featuring literary translators.